In your quest for optimal productivity, you’ve probably downloaded an insane number of apps onto your smartphone, with varying degrees of success. However, sometimes the best solution is the one right in front of you: your calendar app.
Why? Because being intentional about how you spend your time is one of the best things you can do for your productivity. And what better tool to help you achieve this than your smartphone calendar app? This article will cover practical tips to help you get the most out of your calendar app.
1. Choose the right calendar app
A calendar is one kind of app you need for a productive day, and it’s no wonder Android and iOS devices come pre-installed. These built-in smartphone calendars offer standard features like viewing your schedule and setting up events. However, given how important this tool is to your productivity, it’s worth taking the time to find a calendar app that offers features tailored to your specific needs.
With so many calendar apps, it can be hard to know where to start. You can narrow your search by choosing a smartphone calendar app that offers these key features;
- Usability: A good calendar app should be easy to use and intuitive.
- Personalization: You should be able to customize the app according to your needs and preferences.
- The integration: The app should work well with other apps in your productivity arsenal.
- Cross-platform compatibility: If you use more than one type of device, it is essential to choose a calendar app that can sync across all platforms.
- Data integration and sharing: This is a must-have feature for remote workers, as it allows you to share your calendar with colleagues and avoid conflicts.
With that in mind, we recommend using Google Calendar or Calendly as your go-to calendar apps. They hit all the key points above and are one of the best-shared calendar apps for remote teams.
2. Set up your schedule for success
You need to configure your calendar to successfully get the most out of it, which means customizing the settings and taking advantage of the features it offers. Here are some things to keep in mind when setting up your smartphone calendar:
- Start by customizing notifications. While you want your calendar app to send you notifications for upcoming events, you don’t want to be bombarded with notifications all day, especially if they’re irrelevant at a specific time.
- You can also choose a specific notification sound for your calendar events. This way, you can easily differentiate a calendar notification from other notifications on your phone to prioritize them according to your needs.
- Consider setting up recurring events and reminders. This can be a huge time saver, especially if you have regular meetings or tasks that need to be completed weekly or monthly. This means you don’t have to worry about manually adding events to your calendar every time.
- Choose a primary calendar if you have more than one, as working with multiple calendars can quickly become overwhelming.
- If you often have events with similar details, you can create templates to save time when adding these events to your calendar.
- Take advantage of your calendar app’s integration capabilities if you frequently use other productivity tools like to-do lists, note taking, and project management apps. This way, you can create a seamless workflow and avoid constantly switching between apps.
- Finally, you can use your calendar app’s notes feature to track any additional information related to an event. It’s a great way to keep all the details in one place, so you don’t have to scramble to find them when needed.
3. Use your calendar app to stay organized
Putting your smartphone calendar at the center of your productivity workflow is a great way to make sure you’re always on top of what’s on your plate. However, it also means that your calendar can quickly become cluttered if you don’t keep it organized.
To avoid this, you can set up categories to help you stay on top of your schedule. You can start by creating business and personal categories and then go from there. It will help you separate your work and personal life, which can be a lifesaver when trying to stay focused.
Plus, you can color-code your events to quickly see what’s on your schedule at a glance. This is particularly useful if the colors you have chosen correspond to your different categories or to indicate which tasks to prioritize.
4. Share your calendar with others
Another great way to use your calendar app is to share it with others. This is useful if you need to coordinate schedules with co-workers or family members. This way everyone can see your availability and schedule events accordingly.
Some calendar apps, like Google Calendar, let you share your schedule with anyone, so they can see when you’re free or busy. Once you’ve set up sharing, you’ll be able to add and edit events on the shared calendar to avoid scheduling conflicts.
5. Choose an appropriate productivity system
Using your smartphone’s calendar app to manage your time is great, but you need the right strategies to get the most out of it. That means choosing a productivity system that works for you, then using your calendar app to support that system.
For example, after adding your day’s tasks to your calendar, you’ll need to figure out the best order to complete them. You can prepare your to-do lists using the Eisenhower Matrix, which prioritizes tasks based on urgency and importance.
Once you have determined the order of your tasks, you can add them to your calendar and schedule time slots for each. Just be sure to leave some flexibility in your schedule in case anything comes up.
To make your calendar even more accessible, you can add a widget to your home screen. This way you can see your upcoming events at a glance or limit the number of interactions with your screen, as you can simply tap the widget to open your calendar app. Fortunately, you can easily add widgets on Android and customize your iPhone with widgets.
Most popular calendar apps will have a widget option that you can customize to show the information you want to see. For example, you can choose to show today’s tasks, reminders, or upcoming events.
Boost your productivity using your smartphone’s Calendar app
Your smartphone’s calendar app is a powerful tool that can help take your productivity to the next level. Using it to its full potential allows you to streamline your workflow, avoid scheduling conflicts, and keep all the details of your life in one place.